Charles Blanchard, London.
George II ebonised table clock. The break arch brass dial with strike/silent function to the arch. Silvered chapter rings and matted centre with false pendulum aperture and calendar aperture, signed on the oval cartouche Charles Blanchard London. Indian mask spandrels and blued steel hands. Eight day double fusee movement with verge escapement, striking the hours on a bell with trip repeat function. The backplate engraved with birds and foliage.
The ebonised case has a bell top and brass carrying handle, foliate sound frets to both the front and back door and glazed sides.
Date circa 1735
Height 17 ins (43 cm)
Charles Blanchard was born in 1688 and is listed as living and working at Dogwell Court, Bartlett's Buildings, in the parish of St Andrew's, Holborn.
In 1718 at the age of 27 he married Elizabeth Chaplin aged 21 from the parish of St Sepulchre, London. The marriage is recorded at Lincoln's Inn Chapel, Holborn. Charles and Elizabeth had a son named Charles in circa 1742, in 1751 aged 9 he was admitted as a scholar of St. Paul's School.
Click image on the left to see a close up.