George Philip Strigel, London.
A fine 18th century three train mahogany bell top bracket clock striking the quarters and having an alarm. The arched silvered dial has two subsidiary dials in the arch for Strike/Silent and Rise/Fall regulation with the signature engraved on a silvered brass plaque between. The hands are of blued steel. The 8 Day fusee movement with beautifully engraved backplate has spring suspended verge escapement.
The case of the classic style of the period with well figured, bell top has brass frets, brass centre carrying handle and brass bracket feet.
Date circa 1790
Height 19 ins (48 cm)
George Philip Strigel (1718 -1798). Was made an honorary Freeman of the Clockmaker's Company on April 2, 1781. This was an honor reserved for those whom the Company believed could help advance its interests, either because they wielded particular influence or by virtue of their social position. Strigel was established in Pimlico, in Stafford Row, near Buckingham Gate. He was watchmaker to Queen Charlotte, the wife of George III and had the care of his Majesty's clocks and was once interrupted by the King whilst attending to a clock dial at Buckingham House, standing upon a stool, placed upon a table, his hands extended above his head.Two of his clocks in porcelain used to grace the London home of The Queen Mother, Clarence House. As the present clock demonstrates, Strigel was an excellent maker. He also made complicated pieces, such as the watch formerly in the Ilbert Collection (now in the British Museum) with seconds and quarter seconds.
An obituary in 'The European magazine and London Review by The Philological Society of London. Vol. 34 From July to Dec 1798' 18th December At Pimlico, Mr George Philip Strigel, Watchmaker, in his 80th year.
Click image on the left to see a close up.