James Tupman, London.
A miniature Regency rosewood and brass inlaid mantel clock. The arched silvered dial signed James Tupman, Gt Russell Street, Bloomsbury. Blued steel hands and strike/silent selector. Double fusee eight day movement striking the hours on a bell, with trip repeat. Signed on the backplate, with pendulum lock.
Date c 1820
Height 9 ins (23 cm)
The Tupman family were in business in London from 1775 to 1824. Proceedings at the Old Bailey for 15th September 1825 (where he gave evidence following a theft from the shop) reveals that James Jeremiah Tupman kept a shop and house in the Parish of St George, Bloomsbury.
James Tupman is recorded at 44 Great Russell Street, Bloomsbury, London between 1816 and 1819; No.67 in 1820; No.31 in 1822-1842; No.31 in 1845 until 1856 as a watch & clock maker and jeweller. He was most likely the brother of George Tupman, watchmaker of Old Bond Street, with whom he worked closely.
Click image on the left to see a close up.