Vulliamy, London. No. 220
Rare and important late 18th century mahogany longcase regulator of one month duration with gridiron pendulum by Benjamin Vulliamy in a remarkable state of preservation.
The twelve inch square silvered dial with outer minute ring enclosing the subsidiary seconds dial with 5 second Observatory marks and subsidiary hour dial. Signed Vulliamy London No 220. Blued steel hands.
The month going movement has five large pillars, it is wound through the centre of the hour dial and has maintaining power, endstops to each arbor, the 'scape wheel arbor and pallet arbor pivot holes are jewelled.
The 'scape wheel is very rare being made of steel, the brass pallet arms with screw adjustment have large pallet jewels. The long steel crutch with beat setting adjustment has a very rare cradle device for the crutch fork, lined in lignum vitae. The movement is protected from dust by sliding brass covers to both sides and a brass cover to the top. Five rod gridiron pendulum with heavy brass faced bob and calibrated rating nut.
The mahogany case with architectural pediment to the hood with canted stop fluted corners inset with brass, long trunk door with well figured flame veneer and canted reeded sides inset with brass, raised panel to the base with double plinth.
One of the finest Vulliamy regulators to come on the market.
Date circa 1790
Height 7 ft 1 ins (217 cm)
Benjamin Vulliamy is regarded as the most widely talented and artistic of the clockmaking family. Born in 1747 he was granted the Royal Appointment as the King's Clockmaker in 1773 and joined his father Justin Vulliamy in circa 1780, carrying on the business when his father died on the 1st December 1797.
This rare and important clock was made about ten years earlier than the month going regulator numbered 330 which was ordered by the Prince of Wales in 1800 for Carlton House at a cost of 70 guineas (£73 - 10s), a standard Vulliamy longcase clock cost 15 guineas.
Number 330 is still in the Royal Collection at Buckingham Palace, unfortunately the original pendulum of No 330 was replaced by B.L.Vulliamy in 1815 with a mercury pendulum but a similar gridiron pendulum to the one on number 220 survives on a regulator made for King George III for use at his Kew observatory and now at the Science Museum London.
Click image on the left to see a close up.