Jump, London SOLD
A very fine and exceptionally rare silver humpback travelling timepiece with moon phase, annual calendar and subsidiary seconds dial.
The gilt arched dial decorated all over with engine turning and set with three silver dials. The main dial with very finely engine turned centre set with a subsidiary seconds dial and having gold moon hands, brushed chapter ring with Roman numerals and dotted minute track. Recessed moonphase aperture with blued disc. The two subsidiary calendar dials set within the gilt engine turned surround having finely knurled bezels, days of the week to the left and date of the month on the right, both subsidiary dials with blued steel counterpoised hands. Gold plaque signed Jump, London.
The eight day chain fusee movement with arched plates signed on the backplate Jump London, having an English type lever escapement to the large gilt platform with jewelled arbors in double screwed chatons. The cut and compensated bi metal balance with blued steel overcoil balance spring. All wheels with five spoke crossings, the contrate wheel set in a jewelled endstop with triple screwed chatons.
The silver hump back case hallmarked ACJ for Anthony Charles Jones, London 1891. The case has a multi link silver chain handle. Solid rear door with shuttered winding holes, the door opened via a hidden pin set within the rear foot. Front door opening via a side catch. The case stands on four bun feet.
Height 6 1/2 inches ( 16 cm)
The first silver hump back clocks were made by one of the greatest clock and watchmakers, Abraham Louis Breguet, in the early 19th century, and are considered to be some of Breguet''s finest clocks with many having multiple complications, tourbillion escapement, grande sonnerie strike with minute repeat and perpetual calendars. Today they are some of the most expensive clocks to buy as only very few of them were produced in his lifetime.
Richard Huyton Jump was born in 1785 and joined the workshop of Benjamin Louis Vulliamy in 1812. Two of his three sons, Richard and Joseph were apprenticed to B. L. Vulliamy in 1825 and 1827.
Vulliamy died in 1854 and in 1855 Joseph Jump and a third brother, Alfred, set up their own business as successors to Vulliamy at 1a Old Bond Street. Joseph''s son, Henry, joined his father and uncle. Alfred died in 1872 and Joseph and Henry worked alone until they were joined by Henry''s son, Henry Percival, in 1875.
In 1880 the firm moved to 55 Pall Mall. In 1897 Henry’s second son, Arthur Huyton, joined the firm and the name was changed to Jump & Sons. The following year, 1898, they moved to 93 Mount Street and in November 1910 Jump & Sons were awarded the Royal Warrant. They remained in Mount Street until the firm ceased trading in 1934.