William Dutton, London SOLD
Clockmaker: William Dutton, London
Superb and rare quarter chiming mahogany table clock with enamel dials, subsidiary seconds to the arch and silver spandrels. Circa 1780
Refined brass mounted mahogany inverted bell top case having ebonised stop fluted canted corners, brass flamed carrying handle, brass mouldings to the glazed side panels. The break arch doors with moulded brass frame aperture and cast brass sound frets, the base on brass bracket feet.
The break arch brass dial with enamel chapter having Roman and Arabic numerals, three subsidiary enamel dials to the arch for calendar, regulation and seconds dial signed Wm Dutton London with strike-silent selector below. The finely cast silver spandrels depicting the Green Man and mythical Ho Ho bird. Blued steel hands.
The exceptional three train chain fusee movement with thick plates and nine large baluster pillars. Original semi dead beat escapement with heavy lenticular brass faced pendulum bob suspended from a pivoted regulation platform mounted on top of the sub plate. Quarter chiming on six bells and the hours on a further bell. The plain backplate signed Will’m Dutton London with a pendulum holdfast and four securing brackets. Original winding key.
Family ownership since purchased from Stair & Co at the Meyrick Neilson Exhibition, 9th June 1971. At a cost of £2,700.
William Dutton, the head of the family, served his apprenticeship under the famous clockmaker George Graham, and business partner with Thomas Tompion, in 1738 and finished his apprenticeship in 1746 when he became a Freeman of the Worshipful Company of Clockmakers. In circa 1765 he became a partner to the famous Thomas Mudge, another apprentice of George Graham, at 148 Fleet Street, London. This address was used by the Dutton family for several generations. William Dutton and Thomas Mudge were two of the developers of the Lever Escapement for use in watches. William entered the Livery of the Worshipful Company of Clockmakers in 1766. About 1790, William took his sons into partnership and traded as W. Dutton & Sons, London, as well as still trading as Dutton & Mudge. The partnership with Thomas Mudge was not dissolved until 1794, the Dutton & Mudge name still appeared on items until Mudge's death. William Dutton and Thomas Mudge both died in 1794. William had two sons, Matthew and Thomas who carried on the business.