Skip navigation

  • dutton2.jpg
  • Dutton.206back.jpg
  • Dutton206dial.jpg

Dutton & Sons, London. No. 206

Clockmaker: William Dutton, London


Fine and original George III ebonised table clock. The elegant break arch silvered dial with subsidiary regulation dial calibrated 0-15 to the arch with blued steel hand. Strike/silent selector above XII, with a false pendulum aperture to the dial centre and a calendar aperture above VI. Signed to the centre Dutton & Sons London. Roman and Arabic numerals. Original blued steel hands.

The exceptional double fusee movement has thick plates, five large baluster pillars and half dead beat escapement. The original steel rod pendulum having a heavy brass faced bob is suspended from the pivoted regulation platform mounted on top of the plates. The striking train has finely made motionwork and strikes the hours on a bell. The plain backplate is signed Dutton & Sons London No. 206 with a hinged pendulum holdfast below.

Three raised pads with concave mouldings to the break arch case with brass carrying handle, brass framed front door and brass pad feet.

Height 15 1/2 inches (37 cm)

Date Circa 1785

William Dutton, the head of the family, served his apprenticeship under the famous George Graham in 1738 and finished his apprenticeship in 1746 when he became a Freeman of the Worshipful Company of Clockmakers. In circa 1765 he became a partner to the famous Thomas Mudge, another apprentice of George Graham, at 148 Fleet Street, London. This address was used by the Dutton family for several generations. William Dutton and Thomas Mudge were two of the developers of the Lever Escapement for use in watches. William entered the Livery of the Worshipful Company of Clockmakers in 1766. About 1790, William took his sons into partnership and traded as W. Dutton & Sons, London, as well as still trading as Dutton & Mudge. The partnership with Thomas Mudge was not dissolved until 1794, the Dutton & Mudge name still appeared on items until Mudge's death. William Dutton and Thomas Mudge both died in 1794. William had two sons, Matthew and Thomas who carried on the business.