Francis Robinson, London.
Fine George II ebonised and brass bound bracket clock with original pull quarter repeat on six bells.
The break arch brass dial has a silvered subsidiary dial to the arch for pendulum regulation which has an engraved centre . The centre of the dial is finely matted and has a calendar aperture and false pendulum aperture. The silvered chapter ring has Roman hour numerals. The dial has a strike-silent selector at 3 o'clock and cherub head spandrels to the corners. The hands are blued steel. The five pillar movement has its original verge escapement and is pull quarter repeating on six bells, it strikes the hours on a separate bell. The backplate is engraved with foliage and birds and has a wheatear engraved border.
The ebonised case has a bell top and brass carrying handle. The front door has a brass moulding to the dial, an ivory key escutcheon and foliate sound frets. Brass moulding to the back door and large windows to the sides with brass mouldings.
Francis Robinson, London - ‘Clockmaker in Ordinary’ to George II
Born circa 1671, he was apprenticed to Henry Jones. Bound on 8th October 1685 for a term of seven years, Robinson was not, in the event, admitted to the Freedom until 7th April 1707. Robinson served all the senior offices of the Clockmakers' Company and eventually, in June 1725, became Master when the incumbent, Joseph Williamson died in office.
Robinson was made ‘Clockmaker in Ordinary’ to the King, by warrant, dated 6th November 1727 and signed ‘Grafton’. Records show that his annual stipend was one hundred and fifty pounds.Robinson’s working premises were in Inner Temple Lane—his clocks are frequently signed ‘in ye Temple’
Robinson remained the King’s Clockmaker, according to the published records, until George II’s death in 1760.
- Height. 16 inches. (40.6 cm)
- Date. Circa 1727