Haley & Milner, London.
Small English George III ebonised bracket clock. The elegant break arch brass dial with painted chapter signed Haley & Milner London with Roman numerals, strike/silent dial to the arch. Original mercury gilt brass hands.
High quality, eight day double fusee movement with anchor escapement, striking the hours on a bell with trip repeat. The border engraved backplate signed Haley & Milner London. Stamped on the frontplate Thwaites and numbered 1738. The numbered case with the original ebonised finish of lovely colour and patina with brass carrying handle. Brass lined front door with brass corner mouldings and brass ogee bracket feet.
Date. Circa 1795.
Height. 13 1/2 inches. (34.3 cm)
John Thwaites was apprenticed in c.1772 to his father Aynsworth Thwaites who founded the business in c. 1740. John Thwaites was Master of the Clockmakers' Company in 1815, 1819 and 1820. In 1816, Thwaites partnered with George Jeremiah Reed, and the firm became Thwaites & Reed. Along with selling their own clocks they supplied high quality clock movements to the trade, including the well known clockmakers, Dutton, Dwerrihouse, Ellicott and Vulliamy.
The Thwaites numbering records from 1761 to 1910 still exist. This fine example is numbered 1738, we can approximate the date to 1795 making it an early example of a Thwaites clock.
Charles Haley is described in Brittens' 'Old Clocks and Watches And Their Makers' as being 'A celebrated maker and a patentee for a remontoire escapement in chronometers, 1796 and an Honorary Freeman of the Clockmakers Company'. The partnership with Milner until 1815 at Wigmore Street and Cavendish Square, London.