Vulliamy, London. No. 220
Rare and important mahogany longcase regulator in a remarkable state of preservation. Circa 1790
Figured mahogany case with architectural pediment to the hood with canted stop fluted corners inset with brass, long trunk door with well figured flame veneer and canted reeded sides inset with brass, raised panel to the base with double plinth.
12 inch square one piece silvered dial with regulator layout. The outer minute ring enclosing the subsidiary seconds dial with 5 second Observatory marks and subsidiary hour dial. Signed Vulliamy London No 220. Winding aperture through the hour hand. Fine blued steel hands.
The substantial one month duration movement has five large pillars, endstops to each arbor, the 'scape wheel arbor and pallet arbor pivot holes are jewelled. The 'scape wheel is very rare being made of steel, the brass pallet arms with screw adjustment have large pallet jewels. The long steel crutch with beat setting adjustment has a very rare cradle device for the crutch fork, lined in lignum vitae. The movement is protected from dust by sliding brass covers to both sides and a brass cover to the top. Massive five rod zinc and steel gridiron pendulum with heavy brass faced bob and calibrated rating nut.
7 ft 1 ins (217 cm)
One of, if not the finest Vulliamy regulator to come on the market.
Benjamin Vulliamy is regarded as the most widely talented and artistic of the famous clockmaking family. Born in 1747 he was granted the Royal Appointment as the King's Clockmaker in 1773 and joined his father Justin Vulliamy in circa 1780, carrying on the business when his father died on the 1st December 1797.
This rare and important clock was made about ten years earlier than the month going regulator numbered 330 which was ordered by the Prince of Wales in 1800 for Carlton House at a cost of 70 guineas (£73 - 10s), a standard Vulliamy longcase clock cost 15 guineas.
Number 330 is still in the Royal Collection at Buckingham Palace, unfortunately the original pendulum of No 330 was replaced by B.L.Vulliamy in 1815 with a mercury pendulum but a similar gridiron pendulum to the one on number 220 survives on a regulator made for King George III for use at his Kew observatory and now at the Science Museum London.