William Dutton, London SOLD
A fine quality George III mahogany longcase clock with shallow ogee arch 12 inch silvered dial with subsidiary seconds dial and calendar aperture signed William Dutton London. Strike/silent lever above XII. The high quality eight day five pillar movement having substantial shouldered plates and Harrison's maintaining power to keep the clock going during winding, striking the hours on a bell. Original steel rod pendulum with large brass bob and graduated rating nut suspended from the large backcock with roller suspension. The flame figured mahogany case with ogee pediment and canted fluted corners, long trunk door with well figured flame veneer and a raised panel to the base with double plinth.
Date c 1780
Height 6 ft 7 ins (203 cm)
For a similar example, see English Domestic Clocks, Cescinsky & Webster. P.232 Fig. 255
William Dutton, the head of the family, served his apprenticeship under the famous George Graham in 1738 and finished his apprenticeship in 1746 when he became a Freeman of the Worshipful Company of Clockmakers. In circa 1750 he became a partner to the famous Thomas Mudge, another apprentice of George Graham, at 148 Fleet Street, London. This address was used by the Dutton family for several generations. William Dutton and Thomas Mudge were two of the developers of the Lever Escapement for use in watches. In 1771, William took over Mudge's company when Thomas moved to Plymouth. William entered the Livery of the Worshipful Company of Clockmakers in 1766. About 1775, William took his sons into partnership and traded as W. Dutton & Sons, London, as well as still trading as Dutton & Mudge. The partnership with Thomas Mudge was not dissolved until 1790, and the Dutton & Mudge name still appeared on items until Mudge's death. William Dutton and Thomas Mudge both died in 1794. William had two sons, Matthew and Thomas.