William Dutton, London
A rare miniature travelling wall timepiece with alarm. The brass breakarch dial signed on a silvered plaque Wm Dutton London to the arch with silvered chapter ring having lozenge half hour marks and blued steel hand. The matted centre with large silvered alarm setting disc. The 30 hour movement with original verge escapement and short bob pendulum, the alarm striking on a bell above the plates enclosed within brass shutters with integral suspension loop and wall spurs below.
Date c 1780
Height 4 3/4 ins ( 12 cm)
For a similar example see The Tom Scott Collection. Inventory no. 21
William Dutton, the head of the family, served his apprenticeship under the famous George Graham in 1738 and finished his apprenticeship in 1746 when he became a Freeman of the Worshipful Company of Clockmakers. In circa 1750 he became a partner to the famous Thomas Mudge, another apprentice of George Graham, at 148 Fleet Street, London. This address was used by the Dutton family for several generations. William Dutton and Thomas Mudge were two of the developers of the Lever Escapement for use in watches. In 1771, William took over Mudge's company when Thomas moved to Plymouth. William entered the Livery of the Worshipful Company of Clockmakers in 1766. About 1775, William took his sons into partnership and traded as W. Dutton & Sons, London, as well as still trading as Dutton & Mudge. The partnership with Thomas Mudge was not dissolved until 1790, and the Dutton & Mudge name still appeared on items until Mudge's death. William Dutton and Thomas Mudge both died in 1794. William had two sons, Matthew and Thomas.