William Tomlinson, London.
A 17th century marquetry longcase clock of excellent colour and patination. The eleven inch square dial with cherub and flower spandrels with tulip engraving between them. The well matted centre with ringed winding holes, a seconds ring and ringed date aperture. Blued steel hands. The eight day six pillar movement with inside countwheel striking the hours on a bell.
The bird and flower marquetry case has a flat top hood with a pierced fret, ebonised spiral pillars and glazed side apertures. The trunk door has an oval lenticle, the floral marquetry is in three panels and incorporates birds. The base which is similarly decorated rests on replacement ebonised bun feet.
Date circa 1690
Height 6ft 8ins (203 cm)
William Tomlinson was a fine maker and is first recorded as becoming a brother of the￼ Clockmakers Company in 1699 and master on the 29th of September 1733. He worked at The Dial & Three Crowns, Birchin Lane, nr Royal Exchange.
An ebonised bracket clock, with a three train chiming movement in the Wetherfield Collection; see W.E. Hurcomb, The Wetherfield Collection of Clocks, second edition August 1929, page 32.￼
A watch is known presented to the President of Harvard College, Edward Holyoake, after which the outer case was made into a drinking cup.
A watch signed by Tomlinson dated 1719 is in the collection of the V&A, London.￼