Yonge & Son, Strand, London. SOLD
A delightful miniature timepiece in a mahogany and brass inlaid case. Circa 1824
The arch top flame figured mahogany case with gadrooned top and gilt brass canted corners, adjustable bun feet, ring carrying handle and cast brass bezel with decorated sight ring.
The 3 1/2 inch white enamel dial signed Yonge & Son Strand London. Blued steel hands.
The high quality eight day fusee movement with anchor escapement. The border engraved backplate secured with two brackets and mounted to a seatboard. The frontplate stamped for Thwaites and Reed and numbered 7190. Lenticular pendulum bob with pendulum holdfast.
Height 9 ins (22 cm)
George Yonge is listed as a fine maker of clocks and a watch of his is in the Science Museum collection in London. He was at 313 Strand in London, previously occupied by the celebrated clockmaker John Holmes who Yonge succeeded. This shop was pulled down to make way for Waterloo Bridge in 1824. Yonge moved to 156 Strand. He took his son in to the business in 1823 and the surviving Thwaites records date the movement number to 1824. The Thwaites were a famous family of clockmakers in Clerkenwell who made domestic clocks and turret clocks, including the turret clock for Horseguards Parade which is still in use today.