An unusually large and impressive wall timepiece. Circa 1835
Two piece mahogany case with large cast brass bezel. The round bottom with door and door to side which retains some original pasted-in handwritten notes, one confirming the provenance of this clock: Customs Excise, Lower Thames St, and the number 128
20 inch round painted dial signed Dutton, London with counterpoised minute hand.
The eight day single fusee movement with anchor escapement stamped on the frontplate T&R and number 8782, both plates retaining their original hand spotting and lacquer.
Diameter 23 ins (cm)
Custom House, 20 Lower Thames Street, London, still the home of Her Majesty’s Revenue & Customs, and for which Dutton supplied a number of clocks. It is likely that this and others were supplied to special order for Custom House. The building and its classical facade facing the Thames, designed by David Laing in 1813, was being re-built after partial collapse in 1825. This is the earliest recorded Dutton with a painted dial. From the Thwaites records number 8782 is circa 1832