A fine four glass mantel chronometer timepiece in a rosewood case with white enamel chapter dial signed Fletcher London with inset seconds dial, gilt engraved dial surround. Blued steel hands. The eight day chain and fusee movement signed to the bottom Fletcher London and numbered 2697 to the frontplate with Harrison’s maintaining power with deeply planted platform having Earnshaw's spring detent escapement and free sprung bimetal balance with blued helical spring. The rosewood case of lovely colour and patina has a stepped top with glazed panel to the top for viewing the escapement and ripple mouldings, brass bun feet and glazed side panels. The front door with deep engraved gilt sight ring.
Date circa 1845 Height 9 1/2 ins (24 cm)
John Fletcher was a superb chronometer maker and a maker to the Admiralty, a finisher and a springer which is arguably the most difficult of horological skills.
John Fletcher learned springing from William Cribb, who was a favourite pupil of Thomas Hewitt. He was a regular competitor at the Greenwich Chronometer Trials and came top in 1863 with No 2690 and again in 1869 with No 2972. Later Fletcher bought out Dwerrihouse of 27 Davies St, Berkeley Square. Later still he took over John Eiffe's business in Lombard Street, and finally bought out the business of the celebrated Charles Cummins at 148 Lombard St where he employed Thomas Mercer as a chronometer springer and finisher in 1854-6. Thomas Mercer went on to be become one of the most prolific and successful chronometer makers of the world.