William Dutton & Sons, London No. 210
Fine George III ebonised table clock. Circa 1790
Elegant proportioned ebonised break arch case with raised triple pad top surmounted by a brass flamed carrying handle. The front door with brass moulding and break arch glazed side apertures, standing on brass block feet.
7 inch one piece silvered break arch dial with subsidiary regulation dial calibrated 0-15 to the arch. Strike/silent selector above XII and a calendar aperture above VI. Signed to the centre William Dutton & Sons London. Original blued steel hands.
The exceptional movement with thick plates and five large baluster pillars. Half dead beat escapement with original steel rod pendulum having a heavy brass faced bob is suspended from the pivoted regulation platform mounted on top of the plates. The plain backplate is signed William Dutton & Sons London No. 210 with a hinged pendulum holdfast below. Striking the hours on a bell.
15 1/2 inches (37 cm)
William Dutton, the head of the family, served his apprenticeship under the famous George Graham in 1738 and finished his apprenticeship in 1746 when he became a Freeman of the Worshipful Company of Clockmakers. In circa 1765 he became a partner to the famous Thomas Mudge, another apprentice of George Graham, at 148 Fleet Street, London. This address was used by the Dutton family for several generations. William Dutton and Thomas Mudge were two of the developers of the Lever Escapement for use in watches. William entered the Livery of the Worshipful Company of Clockmakers in 1766. About 1790, William took his sons into partnership and traded as W. Dutton & Sons, London, as well as still trading as Dutton & Mudge. The partnership with Thomas Mudge was not dissolved until 1794, the Dutton & Mudge name still appeared on items until Mudge's death. William Dutton and Thomas Mudge both died in 1794. William had two sons, Matthew and Thomas who carried on the business.